Friday, March 9, 2007

Old Yeller and The Civil War and Giant Lizards!

On saturday of last week Collyn and I decided to take a little get away from the Big b-town (Brady) and venture over to Mason to see the sights. Haleigh had just finished reading the book "Old Yeller" by Fred Gipson, who was a Mason Local. There is a whole part of the library dedicated to him and his craft. So we thought it would be cool to take Haleigh and Dorian to see it. Well Dorian didnt think it was cool, and to put it in his own words "I dont want to see some stupid statue!" So he stayed home with his mom.

We get to Mason only to discover that apparently 12:00 noon in Mason is 11:30am becuase the library says "Open till 12noon!" on the door for saturday, yet they were closed up tight..Assholes. So we did like good tourists and peeked in through the windows. Hahah...Haleigh liked seeing his boots..made it all seem real to her, plus the picture of Fred Gibson and the real "Old Teller" brought it all to life for her.


Next stop on our guided by me tour of Mason was the old historic "Fort Mason" I don't have time to type all about this old civil war fort, so read more on this link..http://www.tsha.utexas.edu/handbook/online/articles/FF/qbf34.html

It was a nice looking, fully time period restored fort, complete with setups showing how they lived...but you know me...I started to notice small inconsistancies....such as the following. Keep in mind this place is off limits at dark, so why did they install lights in it?? I don't remember Civil War forts having modular Ikea lighting?

Then I hit the motherload...If you look at the picture below.....

Yes folks, there is your proof...Computers are old news....Apparently they had them back in the civil war days...See the speakers coming out of this nice, period accurate antique computer desk? Seems it was faster to send an email than it was to send the pony express. Just look at this ancient email I found in the library's files.

To :

RobertELee@CivilWarFrontierFort.com

date
Jan 15th, 1864
subject :
Indians are coming!
mailed-by
ThomasStonewallJackson@CivilWarHomeFort.com

Body:

"Get the hell out as the indians are coming!"

So it was on to the next stop on our schizophrenic tour....

Here we see an art piece called "Too much time and a chainsaw"...or "I really love lizards"... I was driving by one day while at work and noticed a GIANT lizard in someones yard..Of course that got me to stop...Hell I'll stop to look at a kangaroo, so you know this got me to stop. Apparently when trees fall in your yard, you're not supposed to haul them off, you are supposed to make something out of them.

This dude chose to make a giant lizard...Which looks kick ass by the way, totally detailed. What an odd choice for a carving...If a tree falls in my yard, I am going to call it "Fallen Tree" or "Future Firewood".....

So that concludes our nice tour of Mason Tx, and I hope you enjoyed it....If you have any questions just ask me!.....

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Baby, we had so much fun on your schizo tour of Mason! Thank you for sharing your finds! We love you! Collyn and the girls!!

Jeff said...

That e-mail almost made me spit out my coffee laughing.

Anonymous said...

Great work.